Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"Discipline Yourself Not To Decide"

I was once told, "Never allow your emotions to make or influence any business decision". I believe the statement to be true, however, it goes just beyond business implementations and expectation, but life decisions as well. I did discovered, that once I started to implement this practise in my personal life, implementing the practice in business came easier.

Once I started this practice I decided to analyse the outcomes and results. I discovered that the life decisions were bringing more positive reactions and solution without the emotions being allowed to influence the words spoken or decision made. The other thing that was discovered was the outcomes were extremely positive and just did not benefit me, but everyone that was involved, equally benefited.

Don't take me wrong, emotions are needed in our everyday life, however, like all things that influence us, emotion have their rightful place. Our emotions are very productive and fruitful, but in the wrong place, they become extremely damaging and dangers if not controlled. How many times have we said something in the heat of the moment, for us just to turn around latter, and say, I wish I didn't say that? If you are anything like me, one of the toughest lessons that I have learned, was words have tremendous power and authority and once said, they cannot be taken back. The same can be said about the decisions we make during the influence of emotions. The decisions made during emotional influances very seldom produce positive outcomes, more then likely the results of these decisions compound the existing problems instead of solving them.

One of the practices I personally and professionally exercise is what I call "The 24 hour rule". When there is a situation that has everyone's emotions stirred up, I make the decision not to decide, it's not until I take at least 24 hours to get my emotions in check. Once I accomplish and conquer my emotions, I then come back to the problem and see it through calm and rational thought, without emotions no longer playing their part, then and only then, I'll make a decision. This practice has brought clarity to explosive subject matter in my life and career, and has brought solutions to extremely difficult decisions. So try the 24 hour rule and Discipline Yourself Not To Decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment